Why I Deleted my Social Media Accounts (Internet Habit) Phase Two

Milnor_Self_Portrait_
(Analog Self-Portrait, 2015)

In January 2014 I deleted seven of my social media accounts.

I wrote about this little experience, and the post went on to receive more traffic than any post I’ve ever done. I also received a remarkable amount of email and messages from people all over the world who wrote in support and solidarity. It appears there are many of us who feel like the social media rabbit hole is deeper and darker than we first thought. But I also started that post by saying “Hey, if you love social then more power to you.” “Enjoy.” And I still feel this way today.

Now, while out and about in the world I slowly became known as the “guy who deleted social,” which has created some interesting moments over the past year. I’m always amazed by how seriously people take their social, and also how serious they take my departure. I’ve routinely been scoffed at while being asked “Oh ya sure, you deleted your social…how long did that last?” And when I reply, “Still deleted and not going back,” I’m met with genuine looks of horror, bewilderment and in some cases hostility. I also have a fair number of people who say something along the lines of “I’m so jealous.” There are many folks tied to social due to job requirements, and a significant percentage of these people feel like they are being ground up by the superficial treadmill of the social life. And yes, there are many people who don’t give a s$#@ what I do.

So being me I took things one step further.

In December of 2014 I decided to ONLY go online when I HAD to go online, or at least attempt to do this. No more news. No more sports. No more mindless climbing videos on YouTube. No more endless days lost to the magical powers of Will Farrell. No more shopping. Just needs. Need to reserve a book at the library. Done. Need a hotel. Done. Need a flight. Done. Need to see what’s trending on Yahoo….NOT f$#$#@$ done. BLISS. BLISS PEOPLE. BLISS. The plan was two fold. Stop going online for no reason, and the moment I felt like going online I would pick up a book instead.

So. These are the books I’ve read this year. (Yes, if I wasn’t such a d$#@ I would have linked all these.)

1. I am Pilgram, Clark
The Tattooed Soldier, Tobar
Kings of Cool, Winslow
Savages, Winslow
Don’t Stop the Carnival, Wouk
20. Good Hunting, Devine
Hotel Florida, Vaill
Salvador, Didion (reread every few years)
The Secret Race, Coyle and Hamilton
Lasso the Wind, Egan
Death Grip, Samet
The Emerald Mile, Fedarko
Desert Solitaire, Abbey
Blink, Gladwell
The Long Way, Moitessesier
30. The Monkey Wrench Gang, Abbey
The Man Who Walked Through Time, Fletcher
The Cult of the Amateur, Keen
Digital Vertigo, Keen
Dubliners, Joyce
Collapse, Diamond (Reading at the time of this post.)
The Goldfinch, Tartt (Reading at the time of this post.)

Now, you might be asking yourself why I count my books. Normally I don’t. But what began to dawn on me was “Hmmm, this FEELS like a lot of books.” “I wonder how many books I’ve actually read?” People also ask me if I’ve read anything good lately, and I can never remember titles, authors, etc. so I figured I’d jot them down. My old routine was get up at 5AM or 5:30AM, get my non-morning person wife out the door in one piece and then go straight to my computer with the most potent cup of coffee the world has ever seen. Twelve hours later I would move away from the desk. Now, I get up at the same time, get the same non-morning person wife out the door, make the same heart-stopped cup of widowmaker coffee, but now instead of hitting the space bar I read. I read for however long it takes me to finish my coffee. At some point the coffee will probably kill me, but that’s okay because then I won’t have to worry about anything else, like Kodak stopping TRI-X production, but until then I know I’ve got a new routine that works. I also apply this technique at night. No more stupid s$#$ for no reason. Just read.(And I LOVE stupid s$#%)

The impact of my online diet has been profound. My mind feels like one solid block and not a hundred fragments connected to one of those vibrating hotel beds. I also feel smarter. That might sound strange, and perhaps this isn’t valid, but it sure feels that way. I’ve returned to novel length material and have distanced myself from the informational morsel. No banner ads. No facial recognition advertising. No “SEVEN ANNOYING THINGS THAT HAPPEN AT WORK” lifestyle that permeates the lunacy that is The Internet. Got a second? Hey, surf the web. Bored? Surf the web. Commercial on TV, grab your phone and surf the web. Having an important or personal conversation with a loved one? Hey, perfect time to surf the web! Etc., etc. In some odd way I feel like I’ve been whispered a secret. I walk through the world as if it’s one enormous human zoo and I’m in a bubble looking at these strange species up close and personal. The difficult part is actually spending time with those lost to the system. It’s more difficult now. Watching as they ignore life, the conversations, questions aimed their way as they look up with glazed eyes and go “What?” So, now I am trolling for the disconnected.

I don’t expect anyone to follow my quiet, little voyage. Nor do I think it’s noble, better or pioneering. What I want to share is the idea that less is, at times, certainly more, and if this experience has been so rewarding to me it could perhaps be the same for you. I didn’t even mention art, bookmaking and the guitar, three little things I’ve been deeply investing in with all my newfound mental freedom. As for art and guitar, man do I suck, but I’m okay with that. Made four new books this week as part of a new twenty-book series that will live in a box set edition. I’m greedy people. I think about what I’ve been able to accomplish and I wonder what others I admire would be able to create if they took they time they waste on social and the web and applied to to their work, or a new passion. I wonder. And I wait.

I’d be curious if anyone out there does a short test or experiments with this idea. If you do hit me up and let me know how it goes. Okay, gotta go. There are pages in need of turning.

51 responses to “Why I Deleted my Social Media Accounts (Internet Habit) Phase Two”

1. Thank you for the follow-up Daniel. I was looking forward to this article. I still spend too much time online but my attention is shifted more towards in-depth articles & investigative journalism.

Unfortunately, almost all of these books are unknown to me but one: Collapse by Jared Diamond. I read this book last year and it happened to be very useful during my trip along the Maya route in Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras. His other famous work is “Guns, Germs, and Steel” which I haven’t read yet but is waiting on my book shelf. There is also a documentary made out of this book which I already have seen and might be interesting for you as well.

Serge,
      There are some classics on this list and others that are quick reads. I’ll read just about anything at this point. Of all the arts I still hold the word as the highest of arts, so I’m trying to read outside of what I’m easy with.

2. bob soltys says:

Bravo zulu to you. Oh, fellow Hoosier and film shooter, you have inspired me. I have tried before and failed.

As a troll just asked for clarification of my last tweet that [as opposed to Apple when you want to buy a new iPhone] Leica doesn’t make you agree to pages of legalese when buying a film camera, it’s time to sever the surly bonds of internet addiction once and for all.

Oh, fountain pens, Tri-X, and paper books, give me the courage to follow the examples of Dan Milnor – and Robb Kendrick, who writes that because time is precious, meant to be spent with family, friends, animals, the outdoors, having new experiences and making meaningful work, he does not FB, Tweet, KinkedIn, or – (unlike Boy George) Tumbl. http://www.robbkendrick.com/about/

May I, too, find courage in these last days of Lent to renounce the Internet and all its works and pomps.

Bob,
      Having known Robb for a while now I’m not surprised by his position. It is truly remarkable how pervasive the online world has become. I know plenty of folks who are up until the wee hours of the morning, every morning surfing, messaging, etc, and without batting an eye will claim it’s “for work.” Real life is so much more rewarding, not to mention peaceful. Oh, and it’ real. We are gonna look back on this time and cringe.

3. Reiner says:

Dan,

You’re my man:
    I gave up FB, don’t miss it
    I gave up tumbler, don’t miss it
    I gave up Twitter, don’t even care…

I still keep flickr and APUG because they are so damn good to find some brother and sister film shooter who’s are able to tell me tricks and give me tips on film burning topics.

I read newspapers online,

and I read books, 5 to 10 a year if possible.

I disconnect almost 100% when travelling.
    Buying newspaper on paper. Buying magazines on paper.
    Shooting film (mostly E6) on a SLR or compact. No backup needed. No upload needed. Proof will be seen on the good old silver screen when the beamer pushes the light through the trannies.

I “kindle” when travelling. Some 20 titles are waiting to discover on the little B&W screen.

So it’s a mixed world. It’s like the dig/analog thing. Keep them both. They are both worth using…@ moderate speeds and volume.

Yeah.

Reiner

4. Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your perspectives on social media. Way back in 2008, my work as an electrical engineer and technology strategist for a large telecom required a lot of social media interaction. I wrote this article

I have since retired early, and am very selective in my e-interactions. I too have observed many of the behaviours you describe and find them sad and disheartening. They bring a general dampening of spirit to a place. We were recently in London and I saw a 10 year old child on the London Eye do nothing but stare at his phone throughout while his parents oohed and ahh’d at the view. It just seems that there is a coarsening of life and experience everywhere. I couldn’t wait to leave work to reduce my electronic leashing, and here is everyone putting on the leash blindly, a billboard and cash register in every pocket …

Dennis,
      Thanks for sending that. Going to take a look right now. Many of the kids I see are already gone. They compare life to video games and the online world, and life, well…it’s boring. Their brains are so overstimulated they become simply consumers of whatever they feel they need at precisely that moment. Other humans become delivery mechanisms for their needs and then unwanted the minute they are back to the screen. Luckily, there are still a few unaffected out there.

• “Other humans become delivery mechanisms for their needs and then unwanted the minute they are back to the screen”

Daniel – that right there in my book sums it all up. Well said.

Michael,

I’m finding the news sites particularly offensive at this point. The design is intended to keep you moving from micro ad to micro ad. The story is lost as your mind is devoured by the action on screen.

5. Dominic says:

Well said Daniel. I’ve shed some of my social media and only kept Twitter and Instagram. I spend far too much time on Twitter and yet still have this nagging feeling of “Am I spending enough time on Twitter?” Makes me sick. I need to figure out a way to be smart with social media and not have it consume the little time I have outside of work.

Good on you for purging and being able to maintain a healthy balance.

6. Thank you for writing this. I have been following your path since I listened to an interview of yours with Scott Shepherd. I luckily never joined Facebook, which makes me a weirdo to most already. I backed off posting photos on the Internet after a photo of my daughter was stolen and used all over the world without my permission. I am glad someone mentioned Robb Kendrick because he has been a huge inspiration for me. I now shoot mostly 8×10 tintypes. I get to spend lots of time talking to my subjects long before I take their portrait. I get to educate the public as I work. I make hand made, one of a kind images that must be viewed in person to be fully enjoyed. Scans are merely shadows of the original. I am getting more meaningful work done now than ever. You helped me begin this path and I wanted to personally thank you.

Joseph,
      Wow, that is great to hear. Glad I could be of help. Those tintypes are real objects, things I have great appreciation for. I’m doing a bit of painting now, just for fun, but I like the idea of a one of a kind piece. And I can do them anywhere.

7. Painting is the same. We have all bought into the notion that the Internet is required for our success. I don’t believe that is entirely true. Showing work locally creates tangible relationships not just virtual friends.

8. Jean says:

I’d recommend you Goodreads to keep a record of your book-reading, but it would mean joining another social media site..lol!

9. Sean B says:

It’s testament to your original blog post that it’s taken me so long to find this as I’ve cut down immensely on the amount of time I read blogs. I mean after all these years of reading other peoples blogs I’m still not sure that I’ve learnt anything of value, anything that couldn’t have already come from a good book anyway.

Yep, we all need to get away from the computer a lot more and especially from FB.

The Circle genuinely scared me when I read it.

Sean,
      I loved The Circle because I see it actually happening around me. I’ve heard similar voices from people who havne’t read the book but the same people who have bought into the sharing cycle like the players in the book. And companies like Apple and Google who want that life as a reality.

10. I did take a vacation from most things social media.

Having small kids chops my day up as I cope with their steady stream of demands, so it’s easy to fall into the pattern of checking a forum here, a blog there, leaving a short remark behind now and then.

A couple weeks ago my beautiful wife took the children away for five days. I took time off of my job to work on things that matter.

– I made a shelving unit from lumber, and finished it.
    – I did some minor rebuilds on a badly made wardrobe we bought off craigslist. Now it’s pretty good.
    – I built an edition of 3 book-like objects entitled “Manifesto” for which I’ve had the photos for a while
    – I made my daughter a tiny storybook, 300 words or so, 2.5″ x 3.5″, with hand-drawn illustrations (smythe sewn folio in 3s, full binding)
    – I de-squeaked and de-clattered the ancient doorknob to the baby’s room
    – I drank some beer, I read a book or two
    – I checked internet forums and blogs and things almost never

It was a strange and wonderful experience.

11. I admire you very much.. who you are, what you do and what you stand for. I am only 19, but I feel the whirlwind of social media like anyone else. It takes a position in our subconscious, as if we are never really there in the moment – always thinking of the best picture, filter, and debating on the right caption… even hashtags! Furthermore, after posting a picture or a status, we constantly refresh the page in order to see likes/comments – as if they are tied to ourself worth (which to many, they are).

Anyways, as of right now, I need to have FB, just to get my business going. But I do not need anything else and I am contemplating endlessly if I should delete them.

I know it would free up my mind, and like you, have a reawakening of our hidden attention span. Anyways, one question for you – do you feel that Twitter takes up your time or distracts you by posting and scrolling endlessly through your 650 following?

Nicholas,
      No, but that answer comes with one additional point. I’m a jerk on Twitter. I just post. I don’t read anyone else. I can’t keep up. There are simply too many other people. So, I should and will delete it when I can.

12. John H says:

Daniel,

Thanks so much for writing this follow-up.

I found your original post about two months ago, when I was debating leaving social media behind. I did pull the plug on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+, and probably a couple of others that I can’t even remember. (The only one I kept was Twitter, and that’s because I use it as a news-gathering mechanism — kind of a modern equivalent of the old AP newswire — rather than a way to connect with others.)

But I still spend far too much time staring at a computer … and I’ve contemplated turning it off when I don’t really need it. And while those thoughts were bouncing around my head, I came across this follow-up piece from you. Talk about a teacher appearing when the student is ready …

I don’t want to completely cut myself off from all sites. (If I had, how would I have found yours?) But I am going to turn off the computer a lot more often, especially when it’s functioning as a glorified babysitter. There’s too much life to be lived elsewhere.

John,
      That’s right. I didn’t cut it entirely off either. I still need it. Just did some research on something, so use it when I need it and then GONE. It’s SO easy to waste hour after hour surfing sites and that time isn’t coming back. Glad you are making headway.

13. Andy says:

Daniel,
    Loved the bit about helping non-morning capable wife get out the door followed by sitting down with a king hell brew of coffee. That’s the daily routine for me and my girlfriend, who just left to go to work, and now I’m scrolling through your blog while sipping on coffee.

And I have also been having dreaded premonitions of Kodak canceling Tri-X. I recently told myslef that I would quit photography the day Kodak/Tri-X dies, but that’s for another day and blogpost..
    Andy

Andy,
      TRI-X simply looks better than anything else ever invented in photography. I’m having to change up my shooting style due to airline issues and time, and I KNOW with absolute certainty the work will suffer. There is nothing better than Blad + TRI-X portraits and it’s killing me to think about change. So, I’ll take Leica and TRI-X and go that route. Smaller, lighter, etc.

14. Dee says:

I am a fan of this post and the original. I have been wanting to delete all my social media for a while, but like many the fear of missing out always hinders me. I have quit Facebook twice (I’m on my 3rd account) and I have made countless Instagram accounts because of my indecisiveness of whether I want to stay or go. This behavior alone let’s me know that it is best to leave social media for good. Thanks for your inspiring articles.

• John H says:

Dee, I deleted all of my social media accounts almost three months ago. I have since added Twitter (for the sole purpose of using it as a news feed; Twitter is great if you ignore the noise and just use it for news) and Instagram (simply to follow my children; I have not posted once). The big one to eliminate for me was FB, and I did have pangs of regret for the first few days. Now, I don’t even think about it anymore. The other social media accounts I had (G+, Linked In), I have not missed in the slightest.

John,
      Wise words.

15. Daniela says:

I just read your three posts on deleting social media (yes, procrastinating) and I felt really inspired by what you said. I recently deleted one or two of my accounts but after reading your posts I saw how liberating it was to take a step further and delete more. I use FB to keep in touch with my relatives that live in another country and to chat with my close friends, and Pinterest because I love the pictures, but I now see that I don’t really need the rest of the social media sites. Those two are enough 🙂 I’ll try to change more addicting habits and see how it goes.
    Thank you for such a great post!
    x,
    Dany

16. Chad says:

I just deleted my Instagram this moment now after reading this whole post and I cannot express how liberated I already feel. Love that you have been so productive and generative with your time and it’s really inspiring. Keep it up!

17. Shaz says:

I have just deleted Instagram just a few minutes ago. I feel liberated somehow. And I’ve deleted Facebook and other social media accounts 3 months ago. Life gets boring sometimes but I realized I really didn’t need those things, those things that occupied 3/4 of my life once. It’s nice to know that I’m not alone in this.

18. CD says:

I just deleted both my Facebook and Instagram. Have always hated, but taking my life back. I agree, I definitely feel smarter and more alert without them. Thanks for the inspiration

19. ML says:

I deleted most of my social media, not only due to that fragmentation syndrome you mentioned, but because I was stalked. On facebook, they wouldn’t let me change my URL so the stalker kept making up new user names. I do admit I feel kind of sad as I had lots of nice pictures up on Instagram and everywhere else, but it was necessary for me to do this due to the stalking, and the Instagram anyway was a problem as my phone couldn’t handle both the Instagram and the facebook apps (battery would die due to this). In sum, I’m trying to “begin again” and I feel even more alien now without most social media. I think in many ways social media has become a pure addiction. That’s exactly what it is. 🙁

20. ML says:

I’m not sure if you got my last comment, but I was being stalked on various sites, and at the same time, I decided to just make a “clean break” with my sites and think about how I want to approach things if I ever do create more social media sites. I like the advice of the guy who said:

“I think the key is to make social media work for you. If that means getting rid of all of your accounts, then go for it. If that means (as it has for me) eliminating most forms of social media while still keeping one or two that bring value, then do that. And if you later decide to add/remove more, that’s fine too. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be an all-or-nothing decision. Choose what works for you, and do it without apology or regret.”

I think we are all suffering some kind of syndrome where we feel chaotic and disjointed due to all the social media and the pressure to conform. Life already has so much pressure though, and conformity.

21. Hello. I found this through a google search wondering if anyone ever feels like this about social media. I could not even afford internet for the longest, then, I got it via my phone. My old writing dreams resurfaced and I began a blog because supposedly that is the only way to get noticed and published these days. :/ Ohh, the upkeep! The need to read, like, comment if you want to get anywhere! And, the oh, you must have FB, twitter, etc., etc and smooze all day long to nuture growth and readers! Some publishers have gone so far as to demand 10,000 followers before they give your manuscript the time of day! It is so hard to get a leg up on ambitions without all this nonsense! Whatever happened to just being good at stringing phrases and writing thoughtful prose? I apologize for ranting on here. Just nice to land on someone not obsessed with being “on” all the time. I am about ready to do the same and say hang it all on the illustrious writing career. Thanks for your bluntness here and your courage. Truly refreshing.

Marisa,
      Publishers who do that are lazy. Plain and simple. Looking for the scalable author. It’s happening across the creative world which is why the creative world is in shambles.

22. Katana says:

I have deleted all my social medias, and ive never felt so free, it feels like when I was a kid again and I have been longing for that feeling for so long. It’s like a heavy burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I’m now able to focus solely on my own life, because who has time to be constantly thinking about other people’s! A big reason why I decided to delete my social medias, was because I wanted time to solely focus on my art, with out distractions. Well it turns out that I have a lot more time now for my art. Also I’ve been reading so much more. I too have been having to deal with people so disconnected with reality that I often wonder if I will ever find friends that are not disconnected. But right now friends have not been a huge priority of mine, I do not neglect the few friends I do have of course, but I’ve been enjoying so much just living my own life and focusing on my passions. And I’ve found out that I really don’t have too many friends any way. I only have a few true friends. Which is perfectly fine with me because now I can focus my energy on them instead of people on social media, a superficial way of socializing. I’m relieved I have made this decision now instead of later, where I could have wasted more valuable and precious time!

23. Claudia says:

Hi Daniel, I deleted by FB and Instagram accounts last week (the two which I was spending the most time on) and I feel free. Me and my husband (he never had any social media account except Linkedin) did a road trip this weekend and for the first time I felt like I have the time and freedom to enjoy the trip and what I see, instead of being obsessed with which of the photos I took I should share. I felt more grounded, more connected, more relaxed. But what I wanted to share is what I noticed during this short trip; we were at the NASA Space Centre when a toddler went into a fight with his mom about why she took his smartphone from him (!); at dinner, two teenage brothers were having dinner next to us, they barely talked, the youngest one was checking his phone almost the entire time; while I was taking pictures of the sunset, there was a family around and I captured them while enjoying the sunset – but, when I came home and zoomed in into my silhouettes (mom, daughter and dad), I noticed the dad is actually on his phone!!! They seemed like a really cool family and the parents were really involved with they children, but I’ve seen so many other cases of parents who completely ignored their children while they were on social media. So yeah, this is my experience so far.

Claudia,
      We’ve gone all in on the social thing. It’s parenting now. Numb. Block everything out and just stare at the tiny glow. Then we wonder about bombings, politics, corruption, the environment.

24. Jenny says:

Hi there,
    Firstly, I absolutely loved your first post and often refer back to it so I’m so glad that I (eventually) found the follow up. This is exactly what I want to do. I work in an office and so spend 9 hours a day staring at two screens and then come home to ‘relax’ and spend hours flicking through mindless nonsense on Facebook or Buzzfeed. I find myself envying people on Facebook when I know what they are showing me is a glossy version of the truth. I find myself wanting to share things on facebook just to get people’s approval. I’m 31 now and it’s got to come to an end. Not only that but I have chronic depression and I have found that social media and constant internet usage just exacerbates it.
    I’ve always loved writing and have had an idea for a novel in my head for years- I still haven’t written it. So I’m removing myself from social media sites (with the exclusion of Goodreads, for now) and only going on the internet in the evening, like you did, for when it’s a need. In those other times I’ll be picking up my enormous stack of books to read or I might even get some words down myself towards that novel.
    Thank you, as ever for your perspective. I’ll let you know if that novel ever gets finished.

Jenny,
      Come home and do yoga, play guitar or just walk. It will blow your mind how much better you will feel. Or, just go outside and watch the clouds. You will be amazed how great it feels.

25. Nicole says:

I have read your original post & this post many, many times. I have googled, “Why I deleted my social media.. Social media detox.. Reasons why you should delete..” so many times this year. About a year ago I did delete my Facebook account. At first it was difficult because a lot of my family use the site. Time passed & now I don’t miss it. It’s probably the best thing I’ve ever done.

My problem is that I have an Instagram account that I love and hate SO much. I post pics of my dogs & nature. People seem to love seeing pictures of my dog & give me plenty of positive feedback. The problem is that I do realize that it’s all BS when it comes down to it. Even though I love everyone’s photos, I get so tired of the repetitive comments; Over & over again. All the same time, I pick up my smart phone during any moment of boredom or even when I’m watching an interesting movie with my husband to scroll through Instagram. I feel a pull to “like” every single picture. It’s truly insane but it’s like I don’t remember how to fill free moments. I’m afraid of being lonely or bored.

Also, I should add that there are a handful of IG users that I feel a closeness to. I’ve been on the site for several years now & during that time I have developed a friendship of sorts with a few people. Whether or not the feeling is mutual, I couldn’t say for sure. So, I don’t know why that tugs at me & makes me feel guilty to stop using the app.

I want to know what it feels like to once again live a life without the Internet. To just be. I think that is the way life is meant to be lived. I don’t really know why it has been so difficult for me to take the plunge. Maybe I am afraid to fail at it & how embarrassing that would be. The reasons I have given may be real reasons or maybe they’re just excuses?

I’m thinking that January 1 would be a good day to go for it. Thank you for sharing your experience. It’s the best post on the topic that I’ve read. Wish me luck!

Nicole,
      When you are scrolling IG during a movie you KNOW you have a problem. I don’t buy any of the closeness via technology ideas. But that’s me. Life without social is, well, better.