The Professional

IMG_3788

Just past the final gate at the end of the terminal sits the bar. The last possible place you can find alcohol before strapping in and jetting off. Here sits the bar fly. Specific to the airport. Specific to the tropics.

Let’s start at the top.
Bad hair. Unkept, but innocent.
Bad glasses. Metal mostly. Kinda round, kinda square. Large.
Black, sleeveless t-shirt, but homemade sleeveless. Converted after one of the native sleeves was caught in heavy machinery. Faded to light black. Almost gray. A few years left.
Gut.
Shorts. Jean or cargo. Too short.
White socks.
White, New Balance.
9AM, red face. Happy.
He’s on this way to Costa Rica today. To sit at their bars and drink their beer.

8 responses to “The Professional”

1. Mike says:

How did you know I was in Costa Rica?

2. Richard says:

I thought you’d taken up astrophotography – until I scrolled down and saw the feet. Great picture.

3. mike a says:

Ah yes, the professional. You hit the nail on the nail on the head. Once, I was shooting a story at a mall about makeovers and a girl walks by with a bare mid-drift complete with belly ring and a rather large belly to go with it. The reporter looks at me and says ” How freeing that must be to have no care whatsoever of what people think of you” Now that I’m 50, I can say it feels pretty damn good.

Mike,

Reminds me of the time I was parked in front of a gas station and some total mullet, redneck dude pulls up and my buddy says “And somewhere out there is a girl who thinks that guy is the cat’s ass.”

4. Mike says:

I once sold a camera to a guy and we agreed to meet at a service station to do the deal. “What do you look like?”, he asked on the telephone. I thought for a moment, and then said “Shortish, baldish, with glasses” – “and irresistibly attractive to women”.
    This really happened.
    The worst part was, when I arrived a the service station, he recognised me straight away!

Leica R4s Mod2. One of the best cameras I ever sold.

Mike.

5. Jason Timmis says:

Enjoying a great chuckle reading this this morning.
    And hey, just like in photography, some of us wallow around at amateur & hobby level and others have the true drive, dedication and sacrifice it takes to elevate ourselves to ‘professional’….and when your peers have bestowed the title on you, you know you have arrived!
    šŸ™‚