Rafal Milach: In the Car with R

One of the best things about my job is I get to see a lot of work. Not only do I get to see actually photography, up close and in person, but I also get to see a lot of photography and art books. In fact, sometimes I feel like I see too much and find myself longing for padded rooms and isolation. Normally those times pass quickly and I’m right back in the mix. Sometimes I see a book, or body of work, that for whatever reason I respond to at a deep level. One such body of work is “In the Car With R” by Rafal Milach.

IN THE CAR WITH R from x on Vimeo.

Rafal is someone I’ve written about in the past, but I wanted to try and showcase another of his projects. His work is very different from my own, which is probably one of the reasons I love it so much. It’s more considered than my own, more structured and controlled, but we both are after a documentary style image.

For me, where this project really comes alive is in the book. I enjoy seeing the film and the ability to hear and see not just the images but the location itself, but the book is where my mind returns. I see a lot of photography books with good imagery, and I see others with very solid design, but occasionally you get lucky and find one that is a perfect blend of all the ingredients. I feel this book is a great example. Subtle, quiet yet by the end of the book you feel a real power. It is also a reminder that I have a lot to learn when it comes to design and the realities of blending multiple formats and ideas into one, well-executed, printed motion.

9 responses to “Rafal Milach: In the Car with R”

How to retain any sanity in a place so unremittingly drab, empty and dark ? Alcoholism, famously. Obsession with something, anything. Smashes the myth of the blond, Volvo-driving, über-healthy Scandinavian. Which is no bad thing.

Some people gravitate to those locales. I was north in Alaska once an spoke with some people who live there year round, total darkness, ninety days of minus 30, and yet there is something about it they need. They don’t seem to function in the light or with others. Not me, I’ll take the beach.

• LionelB says:

Dan,

I learned this morning that there is an Icelandic phone app, geared to helping users avoid the trap of inbreeding. In a population where everyone is related to everyone else, no doubt very useful.

Wow, don’t know anything about that, but seems like it might be worth $.99. I had no idea.

2. Thanks for posting the video. I dig the book and his work in general.

3. Beeing from Iceland I enjoyed seeing this. Thanks for posting.

The app Dan talks about……never heard of it 🙂

And lets not forget that although we get dark days ( mid oct – mid feb) we get very bright days rest of the year, may-late july we get sun 24 hours a day 😉

Looks like a grand place to me. Hopefully I’ll make it there one day. I like places of extreme. Makes you enjoy moments for what they are..fleeting. Sometimes in California after months and months of cloudless sunshine I find myself missing actual weather.

• LionelB says:

Great to see Þórir that you are using Tri-X in a Lubitel. Nice images too. Darkness at Four in the afternoon makes me miserable enough. England is far enough North for me. I just couldn’t handle weeks of night time.
      What Iceland does have of course is people - which is the answer to the sanity question. By the way the app is free. And mostly for fun.