The Leica File: Eleven

It had been a while since I checked in with a Leica File installment, so I thought I would serve one up right before the holiday. I really love this photograph. It might be because it is one of the only decent images I made the entire week, or it could be really good. That is up to you to decide. All I can say is that this place at that moment felt right. I believe you can feel images before they happen, and when I got out of my car I felt there was something coming. It was only a matter of watching, waiting and then pouncing when the moment was right.

15 Responses to “The Leica File: Eleven”

1. bob soltys says:

This is a great shot Mav – you should be a photographer.

Seriously – well done. Thanks for reviving the Leica File and supporting film

2. Eric says:

This is a very nice shot I love the light and the low clouds. Thanks for this Crazy thing you call the Leica File.

Dan,

Pushed into a corner, the single photograph I would choose is by Herbert List, a still life of glasses, a carafe and water captured in the late sunlight at Sounion in Greece. Its subject is ‘simply’ the quality of the light but it is certainly no snapshot. For decades he agonised over the nuances of similar images. It speaks silently of memory, regret and history. The quiet contemplation of the sun as it fades, in a place which resonates with how we feel gets to the heart of what black and white film can show us. It is frustratingly difficult to get right. Until the negative appears there is no way of knowing if there is ‘something’. If it was easy though there would be no point. Your image has a stamp of that magic, which is about as much as any of us can hope for. Powerful echoes of List’s ‘Water Games 1′ from 1934, except that it shouts “Daniel Milnor” - how that happens, I still haven’t fathomed.

Jesus Lionel,

That is a grand thing to say, and thanks for saying it. I love that idea of just watching the quality of light, something simple yet explore it to the fullest.

• LionelB says:

Dan,

Maybe some time run a roll of Ilford SFX through your Hasselblad, just for the hell of it ? That could be interesting.

4. Thanks for the Leica File, love the series.

I was in the Cambodian countryside for a week just a few weeks back and shot lots with an M8 and an M6. I carried the digital body along just to have those instantly shareable and checkable shots but now I regret it, again. The material that is emerging from my Tri-X rolls has so much more depth. Compositions have more care and even shots I fired from a moving car are perfectly timed and full of that ‘happy accident’ cool. Soon I must accept what is inevitable and finally let go of digital photography for good.

Mikael,

I’ve felt and done the same thing over and over and over. I keep thinking that having a small digital camera will be good for teaching or that I can use it for small things, but then I get in the field and try it and realize I can’t do two things at once, and frankly I don’t need to share as much as I”ve been sharing. People are sharing so much that the actual meaning of what is being shared is becoming less and less.

5. joe dupont says:

Wow Daniel….perfect framing! I love the way all of their heads are just below the upper border of the clouds…and the football is above. The streaming light is beautiful. Probably could have done the same thing with several composits and photoshop :). Long live film and getting it right in camera.

6. Congrats on that shot. I really like it. And thanks for sharing.

7. Darren says:

This is an exquisitely timed shot, very nice work. I’m interested to hear the commentary too. Especially the use of ‘make’ over ‘take’, as in ‘I made this picture…’. I’m guessing this is a conscious decision, and I understand your choice, even though I wouldn’t use it myself…..