“Cups”: Frank Jackson

I met Frank Jackson a few years ago and knew I had found someone with whom I share some DNA. No we don’t look alike. He’s a lot taller than me. But we share a love of paper, pens, Leicas, quiet time, folding bikes, photography, poetry, music and COFFEE. As you will note in one of these images, Frank has the coffee maker of all coffee makers. I don’t know what it is, but I had to get clearance just to be in the same room with it. He showed up at the Palm Springs Photo Festival with a ceramic grinder, high-grade Colombian brown flake and 100% pure Himalayan spring water culled from the mountains by chosen people.

Frank was the perfect guy for me to get addicted to Blurb. Plus, he’s a friend so if anything goes wrong I can pull the “Hey, not my fault” thing and be totally fine. Like most other things, Frank took to the Blurb like a moth to the flame. Now he is hooked. Not only did he make a book, seen below, but he has two or three more on order. Frank travels a lot and tends to go back to one place over and over again, places like Europe. I like this. Years ago he plucked a coffee cup out of its place in the world and began photographing the same cup in a variety of locales. In addition he just shoots coffee and coffee cups. But this isn’t a book about coffee. I would describe Frank as a photographic drifter, but he is a photographer drifter with a plan. If you check the link at the bottom of the post “Balance” you will see what I mean. Images shot all over the world but with a consistent theme. This happens because a photographer is always looking and feeling and understanding the connection between things and places and people and light. I dig it.

Frank chose the Blurb 6×9, which you all know is one of my favorite formats. Smallish, lightish and priced for sales if you are so inclined. He did some interesting things with the design which I also love. And just when I thought I’d seen it all he pulled out a book of illustrations that I LOVED, so I know there are more Blurb gems on the way. It’s good to see these books taking off like they are, the 6×9’s I mean. I show these around a lot and get a lot of mental wheels spinning. Also, on a sidenote, I saw one of my own 6×9’s printed imagewrap and was amazed at how much I liked it. I normally just make softcover but that might have to change. For those of you who were commenting on length of projects, Frank has been working on this baby for a long while and can’t imagine him slowing down anytime soon.

Oh, by the time I could write and post this post he emailed with ANOTHER book……told you he was hooked.

BALANCE LINK

16 responses to ““Cups”: Frank Jackson”

1. Wim says:

Oh my god! He did not told me that he published a book! I met Frank over the Internet and he visited me twice in Hamburg and I am lucky to call him a Friend! Great talented guy and very funny… Can’t wait to see him again! Thanks Daniel for this post!

2. Mei-Chun says:

Great post. His work is fantastic!

Strange. Last year I made a photograph of a handrail exactly like the one on the back cover of Balance. Deep in the English countryside. There must be a whole tribe of them out there, where I thought only one (well, one pair anyway…) Time for some research.

Hmm, separated at birth?

• LionelB says:

Turns out that it is a volute. Based on an Ionian scroll. But the overwhelming necessity of making an image of something that normal people ignore is more difficult to explain — but gives me a good feeling inside. If we are going to be strange, good at least to be strange together.

Look up Paolo Nozolino. Brilliant at shooting things most people would walk right by.

• LionelB says:

Daniel,

Thanks. He has a very interesting take. Turning all that you said about light in the previous post on its head, he paints with dark. Almost as if he sees the light as an intrusion. Probably best not to look at his images and listen to Leonard Cohen at the same time.

4. David says:

Hi Daniel, I’ve been following your blog for a few days now and really enjoying the posts, good mix of photography tips and your take on other ‘stuff’.
    Really liked this latest post – Inspired now to put together my own Blurb book – Christmas presents sorted!
    Thanks.

5. Paul Joyce says:

Great post Daniel and many thanks for making us aware of Frank. I wasn’t aware of his work before and he has some fantastic work.

I couldn’t see anywhere on his website a way of contacting him. Do you know if he has a generic email id I could drop him an email? I have a question I’d like to ask.

As a side note, I could not find his Cups 6×9 book anywhere on Blurb. Is it already available or did you just have a sneak preview?

6. Paul Joyce says:

I wanted to come back to this post as I recently received both of Frank’s “Cups” books and this week I received a print from him as I was one of the first 50 to order.

All I can say is that his work really is special and I have to say thanks to Daniel for his post and bringing Frank to my attention.

I can highly recommend you check out Frank’s Blurb books.