New Book: “Chamba”

I’ve gone and done it again. I’ve made another book.

“Chamba” slang for work, is a ninety-page, Blurb, 6×9, color trade book featuring fifty-four black and white photographs captured during my trips to Peru. The images are black and white, but the paper is color, white-based, uncoated stock that is my second favorite paper offered by Blurb. Also, all of this work was created with the Leica M camera system something that you ravenous Leica fans will want to know. During my time in Peru I’ve also worked in color but I wanted this book to focus only on the black and white. The Leica work has a certain esthetic and feel. As you will see, the book is designed with the spine on top and not on the left where it would normally be. I did this for a variety of reasons. First, it’s different. Second, much of the work is horizontal, and lastly because I’ve seen other books by other photographers done this way and many of them really worked well. This book is not a profound statement about photography or about Peru. This book is simply a sketch book of photographic ideas and moments all connected during the time when my boots were on Peruvian soil. There is also an ebook version available for your beloved iPhone or iPad devices.

16 Responses to “New Book: “Chamba””

1. Brian Miller says:

Nice! Spotted this on your Blurb store yesterday. Was intrigued by the rotated format. Do you like B&W on color paper better?

Brian,

The black and white paper is an off white, cream based paper that works great with a certain type of image, but not great with others. The black and white paper was never really meant for images, but it is doable. My most popular book was done this way. The color paper is GREAT with images. White based, uncoated.

2. MarkusA says:

Awesome work Daniel.

Thanks Mark,

Appreciate that. What do you like about it? Out of curiosity.

• MarkusA says:

Hi Daniel,

As a follow pro shooter focusing on documentary work I truly appreciate your less is more approach to composition; not everything has to be shown in a frame to convey a message, you care about light + know how to use it to maximise the impact of a picture (I really appreciate the Salgadoesque – is that even a word – backlight glow in your 1st feature image). Also, you have an eye for good design which follows the same tract as your imagery – less is more etc.

It is nice to see a photog that sees and cares about the same things as I and many other pros in their 30’s + 40’s. Guys like you, Phil Blenkinsop etc always make me appreciate what I do for a living and why true photography is so very important.

Markus,

Now you are scaring me…..my name in the same sentence as Salgado and Blenkinsop, which is a bit of a stretch to say the least, but I appreciate the thought. Salgado really had an influence on me when I started out, in terms of the light he worked in, and then later in my “career” when it came to his ability to finance and gain support for his massive projects. He has been in a class by himself for decades, and unfortunately, I don’t see anyone with the ability to replace him. I don’t mean anyone with the talent, because there are people with the talent, but what we lack now is the industry to support and the collective attention span to pay attention to the issues.

Everything in my work starts with light. As long as I’m in the right light I feel like I can make pictures. Other times, when I have no choice, I make pictures in the light available, then grip the entire time wishing the light were better. Such is life I guess. We are all obsessed.

3. mike a says:

Daniel, you just make some cool ass books.

Mike,

Thanks. I’m just playing around. Trying, experimenting and trying to unlearn as much as I possible can in regard to books, photography and life in general.

• mike a says:

Experimenting and unlearning and failing are things we all need to do. Especially me. Thanks for reminding me.

Mike,

So much of what I’m doing now is UNLEARNING. Nothing wrong with original knowledge, only need to make it fit.

4. Looks good amigo, the minimal approach of black and white + red is quite striking (and Jack White’ish). Will pick up a copy soon. Honoured to be featured in the book :)

5. As mike stated “…you just make some cool ass books.” And it looks really good on my new iPad.

6. Mikael says:

Daniel, this was my first eBook purchase. Very inspiring images. I like the way some shots are “not that special” alone but together they become a rythmic set. Thats something to learn when choosing a body of shots.

Mikael,

Great observation. A book of great images might be a portfolio but not a book. A book can take on many flavors, book, catalog, portfolio, etc, and each is designed in a specific way and with specific purpose.