Martin Schoeller

This guy is fascinating to me. Never met him, never spoke with him, but when he shows up there tends to be good things in the works….like shooting 100 of the most influential people in the world. I also love the dreadlocks, which are beyond my capability…I think. And to top things off, Fuji 6×9 and FILM…yes FILM people. Go ahead and rail him for being “behind the times.” Did I mention his photographing the 100 most influential people in the world????? I love to see one of the superstars of photography shooting film…it just goes to show, anything for anyone at any time. It’s all about the pics. If he was running for president, I’d vote for him, so take that digi lovers! On a serious note, you see a guy like this, who is safe to call a superstar, sleeping in the van to get an image at sunrise. I love this. I like people who aren’t afraid to get a little bit of the story ON them. In my book, this guy is fun to watch and represents someone who just does what he does and he does it well. He also comes across well in the interview, humble, calm, etc.

19 Responses to “Martin Schoeller”

1. Rob Oresteen says:

Gotta love 6×9. Bring on your D3’s and 5D’s…the 6×9 “sensor” is 6 times the size of supposed “full frame” 35 MM…ya want to pixel peep? !!

To me the only way to shoot people of importance would be to immortalize them on film…

2. It’s not that I don’t like pixel but just glad to see people choosing films to do project of this kind

3. joe dupont says:

” I like people who aren’t afraid to get a little bit of the story ON them.”

A beautiful turn of a phrase to sum up this work.

4. Mikael says:

Shooting film and using a rangefinder for a project like that, impressive. I am totally leaving digital behind…

5. perudo says:

I just feel inspired when I see somebody use a film camera!

6. E says:

What impressed me is more than he is able to choose a particular camera, and more importantly a different visual style for each project. It seems that, he is forcing himself to find the best tool or best way to convey his ideas to do the work, and not staying in a comfort zone.

E,

That is a good point. People like him aren’t one trick people. Back in the early 90’s I remember a few fashion photographers, hot at the time, who did nothing more than cross process film. That was it, that was their one trick. When cross processing faded, so did they.

7. Tom says:

Well that was cool. Of course I have a soft spot for film rangefinders of all types. No beeping, no lights, no switches, no focus problems, no programs. He strikes me as a guy who knows what he is doing. In that regard the use of film makes some sense. He isn’t shooting the camera as one would shoot an AK47. He likely gets no surprises and doesn’t have to wade through 2000 shots for the two good ones. As far as digital goes there are some really great medium format rigs out there….but…..they cost HUGE bucks and they are heavy and perhaps not as resilient as a Fuji rangefinder. The best camera to have is the one you like shooting with.

Tom,

That’s really it. What do you take with you? I love the phone and Leica for this reason. When I’m actually going out to shoot, I’ll take anything, but walking around…totally different.

8. Eric Labastida says:

LOVE IT< LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!

9. Michael says:

Martin shot a story for National Geographic on a Mamiya 7ii. If he does shoot digital it can’t be much. Thanks for sharing this. I saw it pop up on twitter and lost the link before I could finish watching it.