The Leica File 4

Okay folks, yet another installment of the beloved Leica File series. I like to think I’m the beloved part of this, but I KNOW that isn’t accurate. This time I take you a long ride down a road in my distant path…Guatemala. This trip taught me a lot about being a photographer, about being in a rapidly changing scenario. That trip taught me about working with other people and what to do if “Plan A” doesn’t work. Have a look. Have a listen.

23 responses to “The Leica File 4”

1. Aaron says:

Dan,

35 mm blown up. How big can you go?
    6 ft wide at an appropriate viewing distance is no problem?
    That is amazing.

Great story too by the way.
    As an aside, I’m in the coffee business and there is some fantastic coffee up and around the town of Nabaj where you were.

With printing tech today, you can go as large as you want. And these prints were done in about 1996. No matter the format, you can go big. I actually spent a little time at a coffee plantation, but it was near San Antonio de Aguas Calientes.

2. Nice TLR-styling with the Leicas.

3. Love this series, Daniel! The new graphic looks great !too! Great images and hearing the backstory that goes with them is inspiring and entertaining.

4. Ryan says:

Love these Dan, very educational as well as interesting! Nice shot for not having a meter!

Ryan,

At that time I had been shooting Fujichrome 100 for YEARS on a daily basis. I knew pretty much any exposure, in any scene, including when i was pushing the film up to 400.

5. johan says:

Thanks, interesting as usual

6. Chris Pickard says:

Chris hits the “like” button 🙂

7. Really like the image and the story behind it was a pleasure to hear. Good stuff mate!

Rocking two Leica’s, now that’s just showing off 🙂 You need a gun belt customized for two Leica’s – viewfinders at dawn!

8. mike a says:

I like the new intro photo, really cool. I always enjoy listening to the background info of the Leica file photo. In 2010 I spent 9 days in Guatemala photographing and had a couple of moments where I was a little unsure how things were going to turn out safety wise but a beautiful place. I can’t wait to go back.

Mike,

I would love to go back. What struck me most about Guatemala was that within THREE HOURS of Houston, you could be in a village that had really had next to no contact with the outside world.

9. Wim says:

Thanks Daniel! I watched it before I went to work and I thought it will be a usual day but after I saw you Leica file I am got some inspiration! Thanks and take care!
    Wim

10. nick gabarro says:

Dan,
    Brutal foto como siempre.
    Me alucina tu estilo.
    Solo suenyo con poder viajar y tomar fotos por Centro America y America del Sur con un par de Leicas. La bomba!! Quiza un dia de estos…
    Continua deleitandonos con nuevos episodios de “Leica File” profavor… los espero como Agua de Mayo.
    Un abrazo

Nick,
      Lo siento mi espanol es horible. Me gusta trabajar con Leicas, y me gusta trabajar en Centro America. Tengo mas episodes de “The Leica File.”

11. richardvanle says:

Probably silly to point out… but I really like the fact that you say “made” a photograph (as opposed to “taking” a photograph). Something of saying “made” seems to imply more of a craft and skill.

But nice story and photograph. Thanks.

Richard,
      Well, I think there is a huge distinction between these two, but I’m guilty of both. I’ve been doing this long enough to kinda know what I’m after, but at times I’m a flailing mess.