Leica M9 + Super Dynamite

Leica M9 + Super Dynamite from Smogranch on Vimeo.

Okay folks, I finally had a chance to use the Leica M9 in a way that I feel really explores the potential of this camera. I thought I would get to connect with this camera on my Hong Kong trip but I never really connected with anything at the level I’m looking for. But, I was recently able to spend a few days with my nephew, Super Dynamite, and was able to really use the M9 like I would if I was working on a project. I have to say, it works. As you know, I’m very familiar with these cameras, so for me, I never skipped a beat. The only suggestion I have is to make the exposure compensation more accessible. Meter is good, quickness is good, it’s quiet. I also exported large files this time. Everything I’d done with this camera, up until this shoot, was small files for the web. This time, seventeen inch Tiff files. They look fantastic. The fallout, same as my M6, and the texture of areas outside critical focus,to me, look really good. In fact, I think they look like images that have been prepped to look like film, that small texture added in. So, take a listen and see what you think. By the way, when these images export to a Quicktime file when I do these voice overs…they really lose something. So, I’ve added two in here so you get an idea of how good these files look.

18 responses to “Leica M9 + Super Dynamite”

1. Abhi says:

This inspires me more to take better pictures and start with film!

2. Mark Olwick says:

Excellent “review” of the camera (and some great photos). I get more from a review like this than I would any day on DPReview.

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks Mark. Just try to give the straight goods. Files look fantastic, which you can never really see on the web. Light, fast and easy.

3. Sandro Mazzucato says:

For the exposure compensation, you can set the exp comp. in the menu to be the ring. In the menu, look for Exp. Comp. Setup.
    Once set the ring, you will see in the viewfinder the compensation changing as you rotate the ring. The small dot in the viewfinder will indicate when you have some exp. comp. Don’t know if that help you…

4. Daniel,
    Exposure compensation couldn’t be easier than with the M9, you just haven’t found it yet.

There a custom Menu setting to control it via rotating the rear wheel, either directly, or only when the shutter is partially pressed. Obviously with the Silent Mode, can’t have EC attached to the shutter release.

Glad to see you’re enjoying it. Don’t dispose of your film M’s for a while as more than any other marque, M users continue to use both it seems.

Gary

Hey Gary,

I KNEW It had to be easier than what I was doing now. Thanks for the help. No intention whatsoever of getting rid of any film camera. In fact, just bought another one a few days ago. I just don’t see digital ever taking the place of film, they are just two very different mediums.

DRM

5. Carl Peer says:

Looks like it holds up well to backlit situations, as always you make the simplest images look compelling. But I think that coloring book looked a little bush league…

He does all the work, I just stay out of the way. You are totally jealous of the coloring book because you never learned to stay inside the lines. Sox suck too.

6. shana says:

it’s always great to see your work ( which i always focus on 1st) and you are so generous in sharing the process, which i so appreciate. nice to get your take on the camera as well.
    thanks!

7. Dan, how many awesome pictures. I love the use of light and shadow, and as always love your approach to blacka and white. I shoot all in manual mode. I wonder if I could shoot faster if I got used to Aperture Priority and the exposure compensation mode. I take that’s how you use it?

8. Eric Jeschke says:

Web versions look lovely so I can only imagine the files on a decent monitor. I think what I see most here though is great leica glass in a classic FOV shot by someone who knows a leica inside and out. Thanks for sharing.

9. Andy piper says:

Hi, which 50mm were you using? Summicron? Nice naration with the great pictures.