Hong Kong Dispatches: End of Days

Okay folks, my time in Hong Kong is winding down. Yesterday was my last full day of shooting, so I decided to hit the most touristy part of Hong Kong. I made the journey up the mountain on the Peak Tram to have a look at the Hong Kong skyline. I have to say, I was surprised how much fun I had enduring the relentless trinket shops and watching as multitudes of nationalities lined up to snap themselves in front of the world renowned view. It was well worth the effort, and I ended up spending about three hours on top. After my descent I made my way back through Central, made an odd snap or two, then headed to the Foreign Correspondents Club with David McIntyre, a local photographer and someone I’ve known since 1993. When I walked in the door I said to myself, “I know I’m going to know someone here.” Five minutes later who should come walking along but David Hume Kennerly, LA-based photographer and winner of the Pulitzer prize…among his many accolades. We were able to hang out, have a drink and talk about…..Hong Kong.

So, the contest is now down to a vote. Then entire voting process is new to me, but it is raging as we speak. If you fancy a vote for me, have a look here. CATHAY PACIFIC VOTE HERE

MP_Hong_Kong_Dispatches_End_of_Days from Smogranch on Vimeo.

26 Responses to “Hong Kong Dispatches: End of Days”

1. Sean says:

Love the 50s shot.

Hong Kong and Japan in the 50s… I wish I’d been around for it.

2. Neil Holmes says:

Hi Daniel, I’ve really enjoyed your blog’s of your time in Hong Kong you’ve made some really strong and interesting images! I hope there are more to come when you edit at home.

I’ve also cast my vote so fingers crossed your in with a chance of winning the competition.

Safe journey

Cheers Neil

Neil,

Thanks for those words. I’ve had a blast doing the audio with the stills. It was a bit of a strange trip in terms of my shooting. I shot far less than I imagined i would, but the trip was great for a variety of other reasons. The first half was all contest, interviews and such, and the back half was catching up with friends, meetings and wandering the streets. HK has been modernized since I was last there, but I tried to make a few good pics.

3. Steve says:

Thanks for taking time to share with us!

4. AK FOTO says:

Nothing better then a frosty cold one after a long hot day making images….

HK was much more humid than I remembered, so by 7pm or so, the idea of that cold beer was the same as it was walking Casco Viejo! BALBOASNAP!

5. Kevin Keefer says:

I have given up alcohol for lent for 20 years, the last image was a killer, 5 more days! What’s your favorite beer?

That is SO tough a question. On this trip I had 1664, Carlsburg, Tsing Tao, Stella and one other…..and I have to say my answer…whatever is cold and free……….
      I love so many different kinds of beer, but my party days are probably behind me. Like Andrew said above, after a long day of shooting, that first beer is unbeatable.

• Brendan says:

Come on, the first one has to be whatever the local beer is, after that you can pick and mix!
      Just back from Istanbul and can recommend both the people, the city and Efes beer.

6. Smogranch says:

Sure, I always do the local beer, Tiger, Balboa in Panama, Gallo in Guatemala, but Hong Kong, as far as I could tell, didn’t have one. I always go for draft as well, so that takes top billing for me.

• Kevin Keefer says:

One day I will travel like you are, and when I do I am excited at all the different flavors out there. One my friends makes the most incredible beer, I wish I could get him to start a micro brewery. Good luck in the voting!

7. Paul Gero says:

Dan…welcome back…you did great…especially given the subject material…loved the panos…glad to see you got so much positive feedback on the voting…pg

Thanks PG, still not feeling 100% and coming back this way the jet lag is truly odd, as you know doing the SA thing. Voting has been a big surprise, at least for me.

8. mike a says:

enjoyed all your Hong Kong posts and I voted for you. Safe travels and cant wait to see more imgaes

9. Reiner says:

Hi Dan,

is big yellow K committing/sponsoring for a 100% TriX/Tmax film roll supply when you win this one? ;-)

Reiner,
      Well, if I win, I’ll be needing to create online content for 80 days, so I’m going digital all the way for that. However, I can’t fathom doing this without making something tangible that will last over time, meaning…..film. So, I’m thinking of taking the Fuji 6×7 folder and some 120, TRI-X to shoot a theme of portraits all along the way. Simple, clean, black and white images.

• dan sutton says:

wait, did you get one of the gf670′s? I returned mine. I couldn’t come to terms with the ergonomics after handling their fixed 690iii. I am currently in pursuit of a 670iii fixed lens for the best laid out camera ever made coupled to a frame size i can print optically in my room.

Nope, I’ve got a Fuji 6×9, but might sell it and get the latest folder 6×6, 6×7 Fuji rangefinder. I need something small to take somewhere..maybe.

10. Reiner says:

It’s nice to know we can expect some TriX work if things turn out good for you. I wouldn’t trust the electronics on such a trip in a million years. My daughter got a small Lubitel2 6×6 and an old selenium sekonic for her 18th birthday on saturday. She can leave for 80 days now id she wishes without any battery needed to capture it all. ;-) But I must admit the M9 will do it’s job for sure. You would expect it to be the best digicam now in the world for this kind of $.

Yes, I’ve got to have some film in there. I just want something simple, something that lasts and something I can print in the dark.

11. Reiner says:

Got the children’s facebook network in action. You are getting behind!