Hong Kong Dispatches

Just a quick update on things here in Hong Kong. Travel contest duties are now complete. Been a bit under the weather the past few days but have managed to get out and see what I could see. Yesterday was a trip to the Aberdeen, Repulse and Stanley. I finished up the day back in Central. More of the same on tap for the coming days, just picking a section of the city and going to see what I can see. I’ve not yet made a great image, or at least anything I consider great. I’m hoping I’ll see it and feel it as I get closer. I’ve also committed to only using the Leica M9. I have an M6 with me, and 30 rolls of TRI-X, but I want to commit to the digital and see what I can come up with. I’m anxious to get home and print a few files to really get a feel what the images are like on paper. It’s frustrating not feeling well, but not much I can do about it now. Coughing my way through Asia……….

Hong Kong Dispatches from Smogranch on Vimeo.

13 responses to “Hong Kong Dispatches”

1. Eric Labastida says:

cool

2. shana says:

thanks daniel, for such a great peak into life over there. I empathize with the shooting while not feeling well part as that’s my daily life. the good news is that it can be donunite& quite successfully! speedy healing & I look forward to seeing more!
    kind regards from shana

3. Eric says:

Interesting, nice to see that you get some nice weather there I seldom get lucky in HK.
    If you like industrial/communication space I would recommend the Sha Tin station for taxi/buses (big/small)/train also a bit further from the centre and a little more industrial.
    About the pace at which building are raising I like the work from Nadav Kander, if it a source of inspiration from HK if you have a chinese visa you could do a trip to Zhu Hai (1 hour ferry) where the landscapes convey similar emotions to me.

All the best.

4. Sean says:

Good stuff. It looks like it’s changed, but I wonder if it really has deep down…

Looking forward to seeing the Chungking shots.

Chungking was limited, I’ll post later. Lots of “No PHOTO,” around those parts. I snapped off a few but there were hardly any people there so it was difficult to work without sticking out like mad. An interesting place however.

5. shana says:

i posted last nite & now i don’t see it? into the ethers. anyway, i said something like: thanks daniel for giving us a peak into life over there. i have great empathy for you with the shooting while not feeling well – i live with that daily. the good news is that is can be done…and quite well, i might add! i look forward to your future images.
    kindly from shana

6. AK FOTO says:

You should start a two pack a day habit so you can sound like that all the time…

7. Aaron says:

Brought the Tri X, not shooting the Tri X.
    Daniel, we’ll be praying for you. I hope the fever breaks soon. 🙂

I know, I know, I’m gonna burn for it, but I had to try and commit. See how it worked. The M9 did teach me a few things, things I can use from here on out. But don’t fret, I’m going to be bi coastal still.